The Skilled Worker route leads to settlement in the UK

You can apply to settle if you are in the UK on the date of application on a Skilled Worker visa and have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK.

The continuous period of 5 years may consist of time with permission on a Skilled Worker visa alone, or on a Skilled Worker visa for the last part of the period of 5 years, in combination with time spent previously on one or more of the following routes: Global talent, or Innovator, or Tier 2 (Minister of Religion), or Tier 2 (Sportsperson), or Representative of an Overseas Business, or as a Tier 1 Migrant (but other than as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Migrant).

Example 1

You entered the UK as a Skilled Worker in October 2021. You remained in the UK on a Skilled Worker visa until October 2026. You can apply for settlement based on your continuous period of 5 years in the UK as a Skilled Worker.

Example 2

You entered the UK as a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) in June 2019 and switched to a Skilled Worker visa in June 2022. In June 2024 you can apply for settlement, as you spent 5 years in the UK on eligible routes, 3 years on the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa, and 2 years on the Skilled Worker visa.

Your residence must be “continuous”, not broken by long absences or by other events.

You must pass the Life in the UK test. You must provide a valid digital reference number from an educational institution or other person approved for this purpose by the Secretary of State showing that you have passed the Life in the UK test. You are exempt from meeting this requirement if at the date of application you are aged 65 or over. Learn more about the Life in the UK test on my BritishPassport.Blog here.

Your sponsor in your most recent Skilled Worker visa must still be approved by the Home Office on the date of decision and must confirm that they still require you to work for them for the foreseeable future. Your sponsor must also confirm that you are paid, and will be paid for the foreseeable future, at least the general salary requirement or the going rate requirement listed in the table below, whichever is higher:

If the decision maker is satisfied that all requirements for settlement as a Skilled Worker are met, you will be granted settlement, otherwise the application will be refused, in which case you can apply for an Administrative Review.

If you want to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa and need my specialist advice, feel free to contact me. Please note that I am an accredited immigration adviser, not an employee of the UK Visas and Immigration. I charge fees for the advice provided.